Saturday, July 11, 2009

Flourless Peanut Butter Cookies

A couple years ago, my sister was diagnosed with Celiac Disease and since then it has been a personal challenge of mine to come up with substitutes for her favorite foods that are both Gluten Free and that taste good. Through much trial (on her part) and error (on my part), we've found that the best GF foods are similar to any foods...they're usually homemade. So whenever I spend time looking for recipes, it's always in the back of my brain to see how that particular recipe could, in fact, be made GF. And occasionally, a GF recipe presents itself all on its own, like these flourless peanut butter cookies. A family member sent me the recipe to try and I was blown away that a cookie could be made without flour! As in, no GF substitute flour, nothing! Shocking, right? I thought so too. The recipe was so simple though, I had to bake and try them. And while I can't say that I enjoyed them to the same extent that I do with a big, fat, glutenous peanut butter cookie; these still were very good. And I don't doubt that any gluten-intolerant person in your life would say the same!INGREDIENTS:
1 cup natural peanut butter
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/cup brown sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS:
Combine peanut butter and sugars and mix until combined. Add egg and baking powder. Mix. Shape into uniform balls, roll in granulated sugar (optional), and place on baking sheet. Press down with fork, forming crisscross pattern. Bake for 10 minutes at 350 degrees. Store in airtight container.

2 comments:

Sydni said...

These are good. I have a friend in Texas who won a blue ribbon with this recipe at the Texas State Fair! ~Sydni

The Brooks Family said...

what a great sis!
and all the recipes look wonderful so far...!!!!