Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Pork Meatballs with Sauteed Chard

I love the magazine, Real Simple. It's absolutely full of practical tips for all things home making/keeping. I have to say, though, their recipes are my favorite part! Not only do most of them contain just a few ingredients but they come together quickly and they taste great!! Recently, my sister suggested this recipe to me and while I was a little leery of the combination, I put on my big girl pants and made it. Needless to say, she was right and it was very good. So here I am, passing it on in case you want to put on your big girl/boy pants and try it too :)
INGREDIENTS:
  • 1 1/4 pounds ground pork (ground turkey could easily be substituted)
  • 1/4 cup pine nuts (expensive but worth it!)
  • 1/4 cup currants or chopped raisins
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 bunches Swiss chard, leaves cut into 2-inch strips (about 12 cups)
  • 1 small baguette, sliced

DIRECTIONS:

  1. Heat broiler. In a large bowl, combine the pork, pine nuts, currants, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper. Form the mixture into 20 walnut-size meatballs and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Broil, turning once, until cooked through, 6 to 8 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the garlic, stirring, until golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the chard, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper and cook, tossing, until wilted. Serve with the meatballs and bread.
NOTE: I had to ask the butcher at Sunflower to grind up some pork for me. I could not find it at any of the stores I frequent. Not sure if this is a common problem or not!

See original recipe here!

No comments: