Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Delicious Green Beans

The garden is finally producing (well, not the tomatoes, what's up with that.. anyone else??). I'm embarrassed to admit that I had an "oh dear" moment this week when I realized I was going to have to harvest everything. It's a good problem to have :)
The green beans are going crazy. Part of the reason we planted so many was that Jeremiah loves them, but you can only eat the same thing the same way for so long. So, I'm trying out new ways of cooking them. I really loved these! They are basically P-Dub's recipe, but I changed it up a bit. Sorry, P-Dub, there is no lard in this kitchen.
Isn't it lovely?
I didn't share. Yes. I ate all of these. I'm a bit embarrassed. And to my credit it took me all afternoon. Does that make it any better?? No. Not really.
It was a bad decision on so many levels.
Here we go!

Ingredients:
3 slices turkey bacon, chopped
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 pound trimmed green beans
1/2 large tomato, chopped
1 cup hot water
2 t. chicken base
kosher salt, to taste (I used about 1t.)

How to:
Cook the turkey bacon until brown, and then add in the onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is soft. Add in the green beans and tomatoes. Mix together the water and chicken base then pour into the pan. Sprinkle with salt. Cover, but leave vented, and let cook about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. I let the water evaporate so that everything would get brown and delicious.
Enjoy!

No comments: