Sunday, July 11, 2010

Ginger Chicken Wings

I got this chicken wing recipe from my friend, and fellow blogger, Rochelle! She toted them as the best wings she's ever had so I begged for the recipe. I'm so glad that I did because our family gobbled them right up! 

Note: I found that a couple added steps made the recipe a lot more conducive for summer cooking. First, I doubled the glaze and used to not only coat the chicken but also to drizzle a bed of iceberg lettuce and carrot slivers. Second, I covered a baking sheet completely in tin foil and cooked the wings outside on my BBQ grill. I don't know about you but the last thing I wanted to do was run my oven for an hour at 400 degrees! They turned out great and my house stayed cool. Total win-win!
 
INGREDIENTS: (Halved from what the original recipe called for)
2.5 pounds chicken wings, cut into 2 sections each, wing tip discarded 
salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste 
1 tbsp hot sauce 
1/2 tbsp vegetable oil 
3/4 cup all-purpose flour 
non-stick canola oil spray

For the glaze: (half these ingredients if you don't want extra for the dressing)
3 crushed garlic cloves 
3 tbsp finely grated fresh ginger 
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, optional 
1/2 cup rice vinegar 
1/2 cup packed brown sugar 
2 tsp soy sauce

    DIRECTIONS:

    Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. or set grill to med-high.

    Place the chicken wings in a large mixing bowl, and season generously with salt and fresh ground black pepper. Add hot sauce and vegetable oil, and toss with tongs to coat evenly. Add the flour to a large plastic bag, add the wings and shake thoroughly. The chicken wings should be very lightly dusted with flour.

    Cover a half-sheet pans with foil, and spray well with the canola oil. Distribute the chicken wings evenly on the pans, and spray the wings with the canola oil to coat. Bake  for 30 minutes, turn the chicken wings over, and bake for another 30 minutes, until browned and crusty OR place baking sheet on grill, checking wings regularly to make sure they don't burn! Grill until juices run clear.

    While the chicken wings are baking, add the glaze ingredients to a saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Turn off and reserve. When the chicken wings are done, transfer into a clean bowl while still hot, and pour over the glaze. Toss until all the chicken wings are coated well, and transfer onto a serving platter or onto a bed of greens. .

    2 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    so glad you guys liked them! what a great idea to do extra glaze and use it as a dressing!

    Crystal said...

    Yum! Definitely gonna have to make these for my boys!