Friday, April 30, 2010

THE Gold Bar-Updated!

I have been absolutely dumbfounded over the amount of traffic and comments that the APS Gold Bar has brought through Chow City! More than five completely random people have left comments saying something along the lines of, "You don't know how long I searched for this" or "No one but APS kids understand!" Isn't that hilarious?! What a strange bond to have with complete strangers! An undying love and total allegiance for an elementary school treat! Anyway, one of those Gold Bar hounds left the following recipe in comments and being a fellow guru, I had to try it.

Let this be the evidence of how good they were...there are NO PICTURES of them because we ate them that fast. They were amazing! So if you want a blast from the elementary/middle/high school past, make these! And as for the blogger who left this recipe-THANK YOU-from the bottom of my primary education heart!

INGREDIENTS:

2 cups crunchy peanut butter

2 cups Rice Krispies

2 cups powdered sugar, sifted

4 tablespoons melted margarine or butter

2 tablespoons light corn syrup

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips (melted)

DIRECTIONS:

Method: Mix peanut butter, Rice Krispies, powdered sugar, melted margarine, and light corn syrup until well blended. Press mixture evenly into a 9-by-13-inch pan that has been lined with plastic wrap over light oil. Melt chocolate in double boiler. Spread evenly over Rice Krispie mixture; chill until set but not hard (chocolate will begin to lose its shiny appearance). Cut into pieces of desired size. Return to refrigerator until chocolate has hardened completely. Remove from pan and store in tightly covered container in refrigerator until ready to serve.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Oh how WONDERFUL! I will be making these soon!!

TonyaMomma said...

It's because gold bars ROCK!! Can't wait to try the recipe, woo hoo!! (Don't tell my diet though)

i choose said...

wAhhhh, I loved these too! Sweet memories from the cold aluminum foil wrapped cruncy gold bars from Los Ranchos elementry school ... and taft middle school. These are still the best!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! It has been very hard to find a recipe that matches the Gold Bars we ate back in our school days. I found someone in town that makes them. He has a page on facebook. I have to say I was craving one and bought 2lbs from him. Thank you for posting the recipe on the web. Now I can pass this all time favorite recipe on to my kids.

Kim R. said...

I am so excited to have run across this recipe. My husband has been talking about these for years. Every time we are in town we think about dropping into a school and buying some :) I am so excited to make them for the holiday season.