Wednesday, April 28, 2010

P-Dub's Brisket

This was my first brisket attempt. I was nervous. For one, the meat was expensive and I really didn't want it to go to waste. Two, I was making it for a group of people.. I wanted it to be delish! Leave it to the Pioneer Woman to come through for me! I made her Passover Brisket and not only was it easy, but it was very, very good. My husband even called me from work while he was eating the leftovers just to tell me how wonderful it was! Next time (and there will be a next time!) I think I will use one 12oz bottle of chili sauce and one 12oz bottle of BBQ sauce. Also, I read in the comments section of PW's blog that it is best to cook the brisket the day before you plan to serve it. This requires way too much self control for me, but I think it would be worth it if you can manage to not eat it when your home smells so wonderful!!

Ingredients:
6-8 pound brisket, trimmed of fat
24 oz ketchup or chili sauce
1 package of dried onion soup
1 cup of water
Directions:
Place the meat in a large baking dish. Combine the other ingredients and pour over the top. Cover and let the meat marinate for about 24 hours. Bake, covered, in a 275 degree oven for 6-8 hours (depending on how many pounds of meat). I tested the meat around 6 hours into the baking time with two forks to see how tender the meat was. When it's done, cut the meat against the grain! Voila!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

Jer's mom is the queen of brisket so I've never made one-sort feels like competing with Betty Crocker herself. I'm gonna make this though and if it's bad, I can blame it on P-Dub :)