Monday, April 13, 2009

Double Butterscotch Cookies

In honor of the new Butterscotch Eclair at our favorite date "spot," I have been dabbling with butterscotch in baking recently. I'm ashamed to say that up to this point I have only ever made the Hershey's Oatmeal Scotchie. While it's one of Jer's favorite cookies, I have never been pleased with the way they turn out. Always too runny or too hard, the Scotchie has left me disappointed and frustrated every time. This cookie though. This cookie changed the face of butterscotch chips for me. This cookie I will dream about tonight.
I have to say that if you're not familiar with butterscotch, you're missing out. It truly is a taste that is unique to all others. So go ahead the next time you're at the store. Bypass the chocolate chips and pick up a bag of butterscotch. I promise. Try these cookies and you'll be a believer just like I am.
INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup shortening
2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 TBS vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups butterscotch chips

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl cream the butter, shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt. Stir to combine. Gradually add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture and mix until combined. Gently fold in butterscotch chips. If baking immediately, drop dough by spoonfuls onto parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 9-12 minutes until edges are set and light brown. Cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.

5 comments:

The Brooks Family said...

yum yum!

JMoney said...

You have no idea how good these are. Murphy saw the picture and was pretty upset that he didn't get the taste test. I told him "tough luck...these are staying at home!"

J$

Sydni said...

I totally agree with you about the oatmeal scotchie. I'll have to put my girls to work on this recipe. ~Sydni

Susan said...

Baking these tonight.
Will report back.
Oh dear, I never sent that bread recipe. Shame on me.

Susan said...

These are very yummy, indeed! Thanks Lady!