Saturday, April 18, 2009

LPO Zucchini Bread

Our house was down and out with the flu last week and as a result most of our LPO box went uncooked. So yesterday, in an effort to use up some of our veggies before they spoiled, I spent the afternoon baking and cooking. One of the veggie recipes I used was for zucchini bread. Super simple, extremely good and I always have all the ingredients on hand! While I usually just sprinkle the top and bottom with granulated sugar as soon as it comes out of the oven (a trick from my mom-in-law) this time I tried a streusal topping. Either way you decide to go, it's tasty!


INGREDIENTS:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 cups white sugar
3 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups grated zucchini

OPTIONAL STREUSAL:
1/2 cup regular oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
Combine and sprinkle over batter before cooking

DIRECTIONS:
Grease and flour two 8 x 4 inch pans. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
Sift flour, salt, baking powder, soda, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
Beat eggs, oil, vanilla, and sugar together in a large bowl. Add sifted ingredients to the creamed mixture, and beat well. Stir in zucchini until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Add streusal topping*
Bake for 40 to 60 minutes, or until tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack for 20 minutes. Remove bread from pan, sprinkle with sugar** and completely cool.

1 comment:

Susan said...

This is one of my all time fav's. Mmm. I need to stop checking what you blog here. It's "eating" up all my points :)