Monday, April 27, 2009

Sydni's Favorite Whole Wheat Bread

Let me begin by saying that this bread is good. Real good. And not just in the "fresh from the oven" sense. This bread is good because my very kind friend, Sydni, ground the wheat berries for me so I could try fresh whole wheat flour. WHOA! Not just a little difference, a HUGE difference. I mean really, really big! Enough of a difference to make a girl want to buy her own wheat grinder and ship in the wheat berries all the way from Montana!

In case you don't have access to a wheat grinder, or a kind friend who does, just substitute any good whole wheat flour. I'm partial to King Arthur or Gold's but whatever will work. Also, the Vital Wheat Gluten can be found in the baking isle of most grocery stores and health food stores. I found mine next to the cornstarch, flour and yeast at my local Wal-Mart. Gotta love Wal-Mart!

Fresh from the oven!

We ate ours warm with butter and honey

INGREDIENTS:
2 and 1/2 cups warm water
7 to 8 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
2 t. salt
2 T. vital wheat gluten
1 T. yeast

DIRECTIONS:
In large mixing bowl, combine water, oil, honey, salt, and gluten. Don't turn on your mixer. Float 3 cups of flour and sprinkle yeast on top of flour "raft"; turn mixer on low speed and add remaining flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Knead the dough for 5 to 10 minutes. When the dough is smooth and elastic shape into 24 rolls or 2 loaves. Place in greased pans. Let the dough rise until doubled in size--about 1 hour. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven. Bake loaves for 30 -35 minutes. Let bread cool and remove from pans. Try not to buy your own wheat grinder and ship in wheat berries from Montana.

2 comments:

Susan said...

Great. Now I neeed a wheat grinder.

Sydni said...

Oh yes, you've got to have one--it not only tastes better, but it's more nutritional. My favorite way to eat that bread is with butter and honey too. Glad you enjoyed it. ~Sydni