Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Peanut Butter Brownies

One of my best friend's mom used to make us peanut butter brownies when we were in high school. They were amazing, just like Momma Marge. These are in honor of her and all the goodies she used to bake us!

INGREDIENTS:
2/3 cup Double-Dutch Dark Cocoa
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon espresso powder*
1 cup peanut butter chips
3 large eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons water or brewed coffee*
1/4 cup melted peanut butter

*Cut the espresso powder to 2 teaspoons, and use water instead of coffee, if you’re not a mocha (coffee and chocolate) fan.

DIRECTIONS:
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the cocoa, sugars, salt, flour, espresso powder, and chips. Add the eggs, oil, and water or coffee, mixing just until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased 8 x 8-inch or 9 x 9-inch square pan, smoothing the top. Pour melted peanut butter on top and swirl into batter. Bake the brownies in a preheated 350°F oven for about 35 minutes, or 45 minutes (for an 8 x 8-inch pan). Place the pan of brownies on a cooling rack, and allow them to cool for 1 hour before slicing.

5 comments:

Susan said...

Hmm. Well, I have no espresso powder but I think there is some instant coffee in the cabinet.. maybe that plus some coffee will work??
I'll let you know how it goes.

Susan said...

Alright, they were a hit! I didn't use pb chips because I just don't like them. I used semi-sweet. I made them in an 8x8 and next time I will go for the 9x9, they were very gooey. Miah loves goey, I'm more of a cakey kind of girl.
Thanks for the recipe, they were yummy. We had company last minute and they loved them!

Tania said...

Those look great! I am going to try that! hubby doesn't really like peanut butter... but he loves recees pb cups.. *sorry for the spelling* are these sorta like that?
Tania

Sarah said...

Tania, Not so much like Reese's. They taste like chocolate with a ribbon of pb. Pretty straight forward :) Happy baking lady!

Unknown said...

*droooooool!* I LOOOOOVE Choclate and Peanut Butter! Those look soooooo evil... good, but evil... :-)