Friday, October 9, 2009

Bueno Green Chile Chicken Enchiladas

Everyone has their favorite "go-to" enchilada recipe. This just happens to be our family's favorite! It used to be on the back of the Bueno Green Chile container and for some reason, they removed it. For fear of losing it, I figured I better immortalize it by putting it on the web!

INGREDIENTS:
3-5 chicken breasts, boneless

1 medium onion, chopped

3 Tbsp. margarine

1 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup

1 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup

1 ¾ cups frozen BUENO® Chopped Green Chile, drained

½ cup broth saved from chicken

1 12 ct. pkg. BUENO® Corn Tortillas

1 lb. cheese, grated (Cheddar, Jack or mixture)


DIRECTIONS:

Boil chicken, cool and shred (save broth). Preheat oven to 325ยบ F. Saute onion in margarine until slightly soft. Combine onion with soups, chile, broth and stir. Tear 6 tortillas into small pieces and cover the bottom of a 9" x 13" pan. Spread ½ the chicken over the tortilla pieces, then ½ the sauce, and ½ the cheese. Repeat layers.Bake 30-40 minutes, until very hot, bubbly and slightly browned. Makes eight to ten 8 oz. servings.


I usually double this recipe and freeze one pan of enchiladas for a crazy day! Just assemble and freeze without baking. Cooking instructions are the same for frozen enchiladas, however, you may have to adjust the baking time slightly to make sure they're warmed through.

2 comments:

Sydni said...

Thanks Sarah for this recipe. Since I didn't grow up here in NM, I struggle to learn how to make all those wonderful New Mexican dishes. "Green chile" wasn't even in my vocabulary before moving here! Next I need you to write a tutorial on what to do with the green chile that doesn't come in a can. Ha!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, thank you Sarah. I remember the first time I noticed the recipe I had relied upon for years was no longer on the green chili tub. I had never written it down. Tried other similar recipes but none as good.

Bueno should not do things like that to us without warning!

Katie, Santa Fe, New Mexico