Monday, October 26, 2009

Chicken and Dumplings

Chicken and dumplings. Ultimate comfort food! I chose to double the filling recipe and freeze half for a busy day. In the event that dumplings aren't your thing, switch it up with a pot pie crust instead!

INGREDIENTS:


Dumplings

* 1 3/4 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder

* 1/4 teaspoon baking soda

* 1/2 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

* 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (chives, parsley), or 2 tablespoons dried (optional)

* 3/4 cup buttermilk

* 1 large egg


Pot Pie Filling

* 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter

* 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour

* 3 cups chicken stock, or a combination of stock and leftover gravy

* 1 teaspoon dry thyme

* 1 bay leaf

* salt and pepper to taste

* 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

* 4 cups diced cooked turkey or chicken (I oven roasted my chicken breasts. I opted for breasts with rib meat and left the skin on. Once cool, I removed and threw away the skin and bones and shredded the meat. I also added the juices from the chicken to the butter and flour when I started to make the filling.)

* 2 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables


DIRECTIONS:

1. For the dumplings: Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. Stir in the herbs, if using. Cover and refrigerate this mixture while you're making the pot pie filling.

2. For the pot pie filling: Melt the butter (and chicken juices) in a 5-quart pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 1 minute.

3. Add the stock 1/2 cup at a time, whisking it into the roux to prevent lumps. When all the stock and/or gravy is added, season with the thyme, bay leaf, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer the sauce for 15 minutes, then stir in the meat and vegetables.

4. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

5. To assemble: Once the oven is preheated, whisk the buttermilk and egg together, and add, all at once, to the dry mixture.

6. Stir together until evenly moistened.

7. Scoop the batter on top of the simmering liquid, leaving space between the dumplings (they'll almost double as the cook). Put the lid on top, and bake at 350°F for 25 to 30 minutes.

3 comments:

Carol said...

This looks Amazing!! I love Chicken and Dumplings!!

Susan said...

This looks delish!
The last time I made pot pie I put a few layers of filo on top, just spraying each layer with a bit of cooking spray. It was delish and a nice change. I can't wait to make this on a cold day!

Shauna said...

Finally, a recipe that is close to home!! I've tried different recipes since I could not quite find one that was just like "mom's" but this one was perfect! I made this one last night!