Sunday, June 14, 2009

Dani's Chocolate Chip Shortbread Cookies

For the second time in a row now, my friend Dani has brought killer cookies to our park playdate. And I do mean killer. The first time, I didn't have to do much begging for the recipe because she sent us home with a few and also disclosed the fact that the recipe was on the back of a Craisin's package. The second time; however, I went home and thought about the cookies for an entire day before I finally caved and emailed her for the recipe. She willingly obliged and I am SO thankful. I am personally responsible for four missing cookies as of 8:29 this evening. Not good.
So I'm not really sure where to begin with this recipe. I don't normally enjoy shortbread cookies so it's hard for me to compare it to how a shortbread cookie should taste. I also don't normally enjoy crispy cookies and yet this cookie is crispy and I still found it to be delicious. It's also very buttery and the taste reminds me a lot of toffee! Can't go wrong with that, right?! I imagine this would be an extra special treat to pair with hot tea as well. Maybe use some mini chocolate chips and a fun cookie cutter and you're in business! As if all that wasn't enough to convince you to make these, maybe the fact that it uses 5 ingredients will. Try these cookies, you won't regret it.
INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup salted butter
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in mixer until fluffy. Gradually stir in dry ingredients, then stir in chocolate chips. I usually finish the dough up with my hands, it's pretty crumbly. Then you can either scoop the dough into walnut sized balls and place on an unprepared cookie sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart and then flatten them slightly. OR, you take the dough blob and flatten it out to about 1/4 of an inch and use a small round cookie cutter to make the cookies a little more uniform (they cook better and look prettier). Bake for between 20 and 30 minutes it really seems to vary depending on the oven. You'll notice the color of the dough change just slightly when they're done-they get a little bit golden instead of white. Then let cool for a few on the cookie sheet so they don't crumble apart on you.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I will be making these and reporting back! They look delicious!

Tania said...

YAY! And here it is!!! I will be making these in the next couple days! count on it! :)

Carol said...

OH MAN!! This were so good, Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Allison said...

Thanks so much for sharing! I've made these twice now-they really are killer cookies!