Saturday, June 20, 2009

Puppy Chow

This is one of those recipes that has a THOUSAND different names but when it comes down to it the same ingredients! Regardless of what you call it though, it's good. And fast. And you usually have the ingredients on hand. And that, my friends, makes for an awesome recipe.

In the event that you live on Mars and you've not had Puppy Chow, stop everything you're doing and go make it now. I mean it. And then try not to eat the whole bowl. Trust me. You'll want some for breakfast.


INGREDIENTS:
9 cups Chex cereal (any flavor but we like rice cause it's GF). 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup peanut butter (this recipe can be made gluten free by using all natural peanut butter)
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar

DIRECTIONS: Into large bowl WITH LID, measure cereal; set aside. In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Add powdered sugar. Seal bowl; shake until well coated. Store in airtight container in refrigerator. Serve cold.

Note: I usually use the whole box of Chex and over measure all the additional ingredients to compensate. It just doesn't make sense to me to leave 2 cups of cereal behind when you could have 2 cups more of puppy chow!

3 comments:

Susan said...

I made this about 5 minutes after you posted it. I had never made it before, but I think I remember eating it at your parents house a long, long time ago.
Yum!

Sarah said...

Well?! Did you eat it for breakfast???

Susan said...

Yes. Sigh. Yes I did.