Monday, June 15, 2009

Raspberry-Balsamic Chicken Salad

One of my favorite summer recipes is this Raspberry-Balsamic Chicken Salad. Oddly, I came across it in a Weight Watchers cookbook a few years ago and it has stuck in our dinner line-up ever since! Although it is a bit on the "light" side, I've found that once paired with corn on the cob or fresh french bread, it can tide over even the heartiest of appetites. Well, except for my father-in-law, who had to make a run to Wendy's a couple hours after I had made it for him. You can't win em' all though!
INGREDIENTS:
1 tsp. vegetable oil or olive oil
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 1/2 tsp. minced fresh thyme
1/2 tsp. salt, divided
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2/3 cup raspberry preserves
4 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tsp. black pepper
Fresh baby spinach or spring mix
Slivered almonds, optional

DIRECTIONS:
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; saute 5 minutes. Combine thyme and 1/4 teaspoon salt; sprinkle over chicken. Add chicken to pan; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; keep warm. Reduce heat to medium. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, preserves, vinegar, and pepper, stirring constantly until preserves melt. Place chicken breasts atop bed of greens. Spoon raspberry sauce over chicken, sprinkle with almonds and serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.

6 comments:

Lorena said...

Ymmmmm...you made this when Dani and I had lunch with you and I LOVED it. When I made it, it didn't come out as good but I'll have to keep practicing to get it right.

Dani said...

I loved that lunch! I'm gonna have to try to make it myself!

heavenslight said...

Hey Queen of sugar cookie....breakout with the steak salad would ya!

Susan said...

How many points?

Sarah said...

6 points for a 3 oz chicken breast and 2 tbsp. of dressing.

Susan said...

It was yummy! Had it for dinner tonight!